Sealed Bids for furnishing all materials, labor, tools, equipment and appurtenances necessary for the Sewer line smoke testing will be received by the Owner at City Hall, 717 Main Street Oliver Springs, Tennessee 37840, until 2:00 p.m., local time, on August 4, 2021, and then at said office publicly opened and read aloud.
The work will be awarded in one Contractor providing the best bid.
The Owner will in no way be liable for any costs incurred by any bidder in the preparation of its Bid in response to this Invitation to Bid.
The Owner reserves the right to reject any or all Bids, to waive informalities and to re-advertise.
Town of Oliver Springs, Tennessee
Thomas McCormick, City Manager
PART 1 - GENERAL
1.1 SCOPE OF WORK
A. Provide all labor, materials, equipment and services for the smoke testing of the sewer lines as described herein and as shown on the Drawings.
1.2 RELATED WORK SPECIFIED ELSEWHERE
A. Not Applicable
- The Contractor shall submit WITH HIS BID a sample of the smoke test report form that will be used on this project.
B. Contractor shall submit color hard copies (2) of the report form for each line segment tested. along with a CD containing the digital forms to Engineer as inspection is completed. The information should include a photograph of each segment and of each defect along with the related location, and a plan view of each segment with corresponding defects located.
C. A final report summarizing the findings of the smoke testing investigation shall be submitted as specified herein.
1.4 CONTRACTOR’S RESPONSIBILITIES
A. The Contractor shall be experienced in smoke testing inspection, and capable of providing the equipment and personnel necessary to perform the specified work.
B. The Contractor shall notify the Engineer and shall secure permission to move necessary personnel and equipment onto rights-of-way and easements prior to beginning. It shall be the Contractor’s responsibility to protect public and private property at all times. The Contractor shall be responsible for any damages to public and/or private property resulting from the cleaning or associated work. Other responsibilities involving access to work shall be as provided for in the General and Special Conditions hereinbefore.
C. The Contractor shall be responsible for maintaining appropriate standards of safety, including but not limited to, Traffic Control, OSHA requirements and Confined Space Entry Requirements.
D. The contractor is responsible for the production and distribution of smoke test notices to the individual properties 24 hours prior to the smoke testing.
E. The Contractor is responsible for daily notification of the police and fire/emergency departments the areas being tested, on a street by street basis.
F. The Contractor shall coordinate all work through the Town of Oliver Springs personnel or the Engineer.
PART 2 - EQUIPMENT
2.1 SMOKE TESTING EQUIPMENT
A. Provide a portable air blower with a capacity of 4000 cubic feet per minute, adequate pipe plugs or stoppers, and a non-hazardous, high visibility smoke product.
2.2 GPS LOCATION EQUIPMENT
A. Contractor shall use global positioning system (GPS) equipment to provide sub-meter X and Y coordinates to locate all defects and reference points.
PART 3 - EXECUTION
3.1 RECORDS OF INSPECTION
- A log approved by the Engineer shall be provided for all line inspections listing the watershed, manhole numbers and street location where applicable. Printed location records shall be kept by the contractor and will clearly show the location of each point observed during inspection. In addition, other points of significance such as unusual conditions, storm sewer inlets, and other discernible features will be recorded and a copy of log sheet, report form, photographs, and digital record (on CD) will be supplied to the Engineer on completion of project. A key to all abbreviations used shall be included on each log sheet.
- The following information shall be included on each smoke testing report:
Basin Number Defect Details: Address or Location Description
Upstream Manhole Defect Description or Type
Downstream Manhole Distance from US (or DS) Manhole
Pipe Segment Length Distance Off Line
Plan View Map Public or Private?
Date and Time Above or Below Grade?
Photographs Smoke Rate
Number of Defects Type of Surface
C. The locations of all the defective areas and points of significance will be identified by logging the location of each defect or point of interest by sub-meter GPS location. The defect shall also be located by measuring the distance from each defect or point of interest from the center of the designated manhole along the sewer line, then perpendicularly from the sewer line to the defect. The importance of accurate distance measurements is emphasized. Measurement for location of defects shall be above ground by means of a meter device. Accuracy of the distance meter shall be checked by use of a walking meter, roll-a-tape or other suitable device, and the accuracy shall be satisfactory to the Owner’s Representative.
D. Any variations and/or omissions from the Owner’s mapping shall be located as described above, recorded, and submitted to the Owner.
3.2 FINAL REPORT
- The Final Smoke Testing Report shall include the summary of the smoke test inspection, including a list of all segments and properties with defects in each drainage basin, service line and descriptions of all defects and other pertinent information.
- The report shall include all individual smoke test reports.
- The report shall also include all locations on individual private property service lines as a result of main line smoke tests with defect reports.
SUBMITTAL AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
1) All correspondence, communication and responses to this Request for Proposal shall be directed to the Thomas McCormick, City Manager:
717 Main St.
Oliver Springs, TN. 37840
Phone Number: (865) 435-7722
- Proposers are required to submit three (3) copies of their proposal.
- Costs of preparation of proposals will be borne by the proposer and the proposals received shall become the property of the Town of Oliver Springs, whether accepted or rejected.
- Selection of qualified proposers will be by Town of Oliver Springs procedure, consistent with applicable laws and as previously described under Selection Procedures.
- This Request for Proposal does not constitute an offer of employment nor to contract for services. The Town of Oliver Springs reserves the right to reject any and all Proposals and to waive any informality, technical defect or clerical errors in any proposal as the interest of the Town of Oliver Springs may require.
- All proposals shall remain active for sixty (60) Calendar Days following the last day to receive proposals.
- Each proposal shall be submitted in a sealed envelope or carton with the name of the Contractor, proposal name and closing date printed on the outside.
ALL RESPONSES TO THIS REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL SHALL BE RECEIVED BY THE CITY HALL ON OR BEFORE 2:00 PM, August 4, 2021.
RESPONSES RECEIVED AFTER THIS DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
UNIT PRICE FOR THE
SMOKE TESTING SERVICES
The undersigned proposes to furnish all labor, material, equipment, supervision, delivery,
insurance, traffic control, safety items, and all other related expenses per the attached specification for the price indicated below.
The following Unit Price shall be valid per linear foot not to exceed a total contract footage of forty five thousand linear feet. This contract will consist of smoke testing main sewer lines with an emphasis on residential service line defects.
Smoke Testing Per linear foot
Total contract price for forty five thousand linear feet
CITY, STATE, ZIP:
UNSIGNED PROPOSALS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
NOTE: COMPANY’S BRIEF HISTORY, SERVICES, PROVIDED AND AGENCY REFERENCES SHALL BE INCLUDED ON A SEPARATE PIECE OF PAPER